About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

Disappointed disashmointed....that's life in the big

enchilada baby..

Those are words I spoke to my father when I was a rebellious teenager, if you can even call it that, I was so goody goody it makes me a bit ill now even, but this particular evening I had actually gone to a party and had a few drinks, and when I arrived home late he looked at me and told me he was disappointed.

Thus my response. I believe if not for the presence of my older sister Buddha Girl at the time I would have been whacked really hard, but she stepped in and Dad cooled off, like he usually did. I was never hit by my father, spanked once when I was 5 and I remember it vividly and I deserved it probably. But outside of that, it was all about the "I find this very disappointing"...that was the worst, I hated to disappoint my parents, and for the most part I don't think i did disappoint my father really, my mother is another story, in her eyes I'm sure I'm a constant disappointment, from the way I raise my children to my choice of spouse, when I got married, how many children I have, my hair, my looks, all of it never really measure up and like an idiot I keep trying to fix it. I keep trying to do my best in her eyes.

Well I've realized, (not really, but maybe a little) that I more than likely will never change her opinion, she will always "tsk, tsk" me, and my choices, she will criticize in her oh so subtle mild way that is supposed to sound like its a compliment in a round about way. She will be disappointed no matter what I do, so why try I ask myself, and I continue to try.

I've made lots of choices in my short life, some I'm very proud of, others not so much, but they are mine. I've chosen not to go down roads and not to associate with people for many reasons, but mostly because I don't like negative situations or people. I'm basically a happy person, I get through things well I think, deal with what I'm given, try not to complain too much. I can't choose her , she's my mother, and I just hope I don't end up like her.

I don't think I will, but one does worry about these things.

Lately I find myself looking for contentment, I just want an even keel, no drama. Just content, I don't need to be too happy, I can deal with the run of the mill troubles that arise, no problem. Life happens, just your basic contentment is what I'm looking for.

Had a great evening yesterday with my kids and husband, it was nice, nothing amazing, we just sat, played games, read, they put on a puppet show and we snuggled. Uneventful, but so what I've been longing for. Sometimes you do get what you need.

I hate talking about money, it's stressful for me lately, so I'm not saying any more on that topic, I know wishing it away doesn't work so I deal with it head on but it leaves me spent and stressed.

Hippi chick did her list of 5's so I'm doing mine:

5 things Always in my purse:

My favorite Kate Spade wallet
Hairbands (for me and children)
Altoids (hate any hallitosis)
Fruit, today it's an apple, Fuji
Halls lemon flavor, you just never know when you may need one

5 Things always in my wallet:

Drivers License
Variety of discount cards for grocery stores
More hairbands and paper clips
Lint
the charm my mother gave me that is made from the gold/platinum from my father's wedding band

5 Things always in my fridge:

Milk
Apples
Wine
Salad fixings
Salad dressings

5 Things always in my closet:

Shoes, and lots of them
My wedding dress, never to be taken from the packing I imagine
a Light fixture I want to put up in my bathroom
My husband's old briefcase from when he used to work out of the home
A box of keepsakes from highschool and college(letters, pictures, etc.)

5 things always in my car:

Parking card for work
umbrella
tissue box, (sometimes it even has tissues left in it)
2 DVD players for the kids
Books for the kids

5 things always on my desk:

water
papers
calendar
coffee
financial calculator

5 people to tag:

If you haven't done it try it

6 comments:

  1. terry said...
     

    aww, lil sis... you may think you're a disappointment to your mother, but she sounds like she's lost her mind. and look at how she's disappointed you and your sisters.

    you are obviously a special woman, surrounded by people who know that.

    sending hard hugs your way!

  2. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    Disappointed my ass.

    You've survived more peril in your short lifetime than she's ever seen. I think she's envious of your strength and resilience.

    We always said she was so strong. In reality, she was just going through the motions. Daddy was the backbone and consistency.

    Hindsight is 20/20. Yanno?

    Kate Spade. You bitch. Tell Teddy, I said I deserve one...merely because of my wit and use of profane statements. Sheesh.

  3. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    PS
    I remember that enchilada night like it was yesterday! Your ass is lucky that I woke up and that YOUR bedroom was further down the hall than mine. I saved your cute hiney, woman! Ha ha!

  4. E said...
     

    "Great" night? Playing games, puppet show and reading as a family? Sounds like an amazing night to me.

    I'm a firm believer that what doesn't make us emotional cripples and crack whores by a miracle of all things chocolate makes us stronger. You have gone thru more than any person shoud ever have to go thru and that makes you an AMAZING person with an AMAZING family and a pretty AMAZING life. And don't you dare think otherwise.

    Now go think about all the good things you did with your Dad and how you made him proud and get in your car with your kids and go get some ice cream. Because you can.

  5. ohc said...
     

    Hey chicklett! I got tickled at a couple of thigs, One BG and I were yacking when we were in Floyd the other day. I was telling her what a brat I was. I got my fair share of whippings. But, no biggie, whatever I did was usually worth it! I am still like that! OMG!

    And, I got tickled when I read about the discount cards for grocery store! I heard what a savvy shoper you are! Good thing, never know when you'll need a new pair of shoes! (Kidding, I am ffeling a littel frisky since I got all the damn homework done...)

    And...as far as your mom, hell, you ARE NOT a disapointment. SHEESH! She is shifting blame. She is the disspointment...sorry to be blunt, but I think that what your mom and mine have done is some eerie generational psycho wierdness. It has got to be some psyco thing that happens. I don't know if it is as common as it appears, as I have often wanted to research it. It has taken me years to figure out I am NOT the one with the problem...she is. Please do not spend good young years worrying about her. She will be fine.

    Hope you don't mind my verbage, but, I think you are awesome and I admire you as a woman, friend, and mother...and too! I think you are wise to avoid negativity!

    Life is short! Live it.......

    Sending you big whopping hugs!

  6. Anonymous said...
     

    Thanks for the hugs and kind words all. I take all your advice to heart and hopefully my mind will follow.

    Quote from one of my favorite romances: "It's easier to believe the bad stuff"

    Well no more for me, I believe the good stuff, I think.

    E- It was a great night, my kids are my life right now, remembering to foster the good in them and encourage their imaginations is something I work on daily, it's so easy to get caught up in the minute details of the day to day. Trying to keep focus on the BIG PICTURE, thanks.

    BG, No Kate Spade for you! She's mine!

    I'm the queen of discount cards and special shopper coupons! Now if I just had the money to shop and use them that would be a trick!

    Lots of love,
    lil'sis

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker