About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

I should just go home now.

Today has just been odd from the start, I should've known when the baby decided to sleep in and not be my external alarm clock that the world was tilting off it's axis a bit...I chose not to see the signs, I got ready and out of the home EARLY, with my lunch and breakfast??? And I was fully dressed with makeup on?? This never happens.

There was NO traffic on my way in??? What in the heck is going down today, I'm the luckiest little bee in the universe right, so I'm REALLY early to work and I'll get a few things done quickly and be able to enjoy my coffee without gulping, wow, this is good.

Days like this don't usually happen in my world, and I'm ok with that. I should've known better.

I exit the stairwell from the parking garage on to the cobblestone walking mall, it is lovely this downtown area where I work, pleasing in many ways. Pretty, culturally active, offers wonderful eateries and shopping, and a variety of human experiences with a diverse community.

Upon my exit, I begin my brisk walk to my office...there in the center of the mall is a couple, man and woman, of the street version, borderline personality appearing type. They are hollering at each other about who they want to go see and what they are going to do. *not a lot of folks out yet this time in the morning mind you, so they are either partially deaf or just very LOUD people*...the woman walks in one direction the man begins to walk in the same direction as I, he's a good 15 feet behind me. As I cross to the other side of the mall where my building is, I hear these fast, little footsteps, like the padding of a jogger coming up behind me. *pitter, pitter, pitter* then with warm smelly breath by my ear, in a whisper I get this...

"gojohnny, go johnny, go johnny, go"

over and over again, rapidly, at a whisper right next to my head...WHAAAAAAAAAT!

I just walk faster, i don't even look, i know it's the crazy man, crap, what should I say, "Please step back you're invading my personal space"? Well, before I can think about my response, there is this woman walking on the other side, with her kids, one in a front carry pack, and the other in a stroller, she hollers to me, "Come here! You OK! I didn't see you!" I don't know this woman from boo, I walk to her, whisper man shuts up and moves along....he's maybe 10 feet away and she's saying to me, "you ok, I saw that, how odd, you ok?" and he's starts yelling....

"I RUN THE MARATHON, GO JOHNNY GO JOHNNY, YOU RUN THE MARATHON, I RUN IT GO JOHNNY GO JOHNNY"

I have no idea...I say bye to the lady thank her for her effort and comment on her adorable kids...I go to my office unlock the doors and skitter upstairs shaking my head.


Later this morning I had to run to the post office...I get yelled at by the post man behind the counter because the package I'm mailing has DUCT tape on it, and how come I don't know the rules, *said package is not even mine, mind you, but a co-workers whose wife asked him to mail and I was going already so took it* He reallly was upset but tried his best to be nice, I don't think those postal people are very happy.

I walk out of the post office, there is googly-eyed, goggle wearing, traveler man, I call him this b/c he has the big back pack piled high, he looks like he's been hiking through towns for the past 10 years with maybe 2 baths and no toothbrush on board. He has his arms crossed in front of him like he's sizing all the passersby up, I walk by, make eye contact, so I smile, and he says, "Hey, You're just a trouble maker!"

I never have days like this, I've never been a stranger magnet of any sort, I don't make trouble.

I get back to the office and tell my friend who's package it was about the day, he says, "you should just go home now, it's probably safer there"

Any tips on dealing with people who are living out there on the streets and like to chat you up? Feel free to pass them along.

9 comments:

  1. OTRgirl said...
     

    Wow! I've dealt with alot of homeless and/or loony people and I've never had interactions that were that confrontive! That's freaky. I do tend to acknowlege the person's humanity (eye contact, saying hi) while rarely if ever giving money. It leads to some interesting situations, but I'm relatively comfy dealing with them.

    With the GoJohnny guy I might have stopped to let him pass me (hopefully) and said, "You, go Johnny!" then hurried across the street or away from him. But I'm not sure cause he sounds really scary.

    My favorite was when I lived in Boston one summer. The Olympics were just starting in Spain. A perfectly healthy looking young guy was asking for spare change. I smiled and said, "sorry, I don't have any cash." He grinned back, "I'll take a credit card or check; I gotta get to Barcelona, the team needs me!" I laughed, "Great line! I like that one." He chuckled in return, "You like that? Think I should keep it?" I nodded, "Definitely."

  2. cadbury_vw said...
     

    we don't actually have homeless people of that nature where i live (a city of approx 200,000)

    if anyone is homeless (in the true streetperson sense) they are approached and given someplace to stay

    if they are mentally unstable they are hospitalised (free medicare) or put in a half-way house of some variety

    that is the policy for the whole province. so i have little experience with such situations.

    -- we had one old guy who lived in some cardboard boxes under an overpass once (about 14 years ago). it was top of the news for about a week that we actually had a honmeless person. then the news reporters had to tell people to stop bringing him stuff because he couldn't store it all and he had to donate the masses of extra sleeping bags and camping stuff stuff to a local youth camp charity --

    i had to deal with an aggressive panhandler once - and that was in Montreal some 5 hours by plane from here

    sorry

  3. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    I am freaking dying laughing here. I'M the freak magnet. We all know that. I think the Fates decided to let you live my life for one day.

    Classic. TROUBLE-MAKER!!!!!!

    Postal:
    I picked up something from the monster in law the other day at the post office. The guy at the desk asked if I knew Dick. The father in law? I smiled sweetly and said, "Why YES. I'm his daughter in law." I hope THAT information got passed on to DICK. Fucking shmoo.

    Panhandlers. Homeless crazies. Otherwise annoying creatures: I think you already know how I handle such things. You're too kind a soul to do what I do...so, for your sake, I'm glad that mommy person was there for you.

  4. Anonymous said...
     

    otr, I knew you'd had some experience in this area, if I could only have been so lucky to THINK on my feet, maybe next time I hope, and I love the Olympics comments.

    Cad- If only.

    BG- to my chagrin I'm not as quick witted with the verbal replies, next time I have one of your day's I'll try and channel you in your infinite wisdom.

  5. E said...
     

    I, sadly, pass a ton here in Philly everyday. If people ask for money I say , "Sorry" and keep walking. If crazy people follow me or approach me I quickly, and as calmly as possible, cross the street. Otherwise I try not to make eye contact. Mostly they're harmless but they can be scary. I'm sorry.

  6. t_cole said...
     

    L M A O
    the reason this happened to you today was so you could blog about it and i could read about it and have the MUCH needed, long over due, pent up laugh i have been missing.
    Hope that splains it all for ya.
    love and hugs,
    tcole

  7. Wine Girl said...
     

    Why do these things happen to us sis! I do not have any advice except avoid eye contact if you're not up for a conversation of let's say a confrontation. Another tip I was given while traveling alone in Atlanta, wear your sunglasses at all times, especially dark ones, then they can't see you lookin'

  8. yellowdoggranny said...
     

    i am more concerned about the no duct tape on packages rule than the crazies..i live in texas..we're all crazy here...and i use duct tape on my packages alllllllll the time...it holds better..and my guys at the post office just laugh at me and shake their head...never once told me not to use it...hmmmmmm...
    we dont have homeless here in little west, but when i was in san francisco..judas priest..they freaked me out...i just did what everyone else did..lowered my head and walked faster...once my daughter and i saw this woman laying on a cardboard box..with no shoes, no gloves no coat..and it was freezing there..so we went and bought some socks, gloves, stocking hat and a blanket for her..when we gave it to her..she screamed at us ..said we were trying to kill her...and ran off...to this day it still bothers me...

  9. Anonymous said...
     

    T- you are right, you must've been the reason, thanks for splainin'

    HOLY CANOLI folks, please give a big welcome to my other big sis, she's new to bloggy land, Wine Girl, you ROCK!!!!

    YDG- The duct tape was a surprise to me too, but he could have just been crazy that day, I dunno...just glad it wasn't my package I was mailing, he would have slapped my hand harder!

    To all- Thanks for the homeless and or crazies advice, I think I'll get a great big pair for dark glasses and pretend I'm a star and just not notice anyone. That way I'll be cool too, right?

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker