About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

Yesterday

I read a lot of other people's posts yesterday and I didn't post one of my own. I was just very sad. I was grateful and proud of the people that worked and fought so hard to save others 5 years ago, for the bravery that they and all those who perished showed in the face of terror.

It was a very cool overcast dreary day here in Virginia yesterday, and 5 years ago it was a gorgeous morning. One of the men I worked with had just retired from the military after over 20 years, he worked for JAG. He always had the TV on in his office, silent, but on, watching the ticker line...he hollers out, "Kirsten turn on the TV something horrible is happening in New York I think the US is being attacked" I turn it on, I see the first tower smoking the people running and looking terrified. I pick up the phone and can't reach my husband or my dad, I call my best friend in NYC, he works at the building next door to Tower 1, I get him on the first ring. He's on the ferry looking at the towers, he's late to work and can't believe what he's seeing, then he says, "Oh my Lord, Kirsten there's another plane coming" It hits the other Tower. The ferry stopped after the first plane hit, it started going back to the Jersey side when the second plane hit.

That night my friend had over 40 people, he knew 8 of them, sleeping on the floor and sofas in his one bedroom apartment that was on the marina looking accross at the city. People got on ferries and just came over to the Jersey side with nowhere to stay or sleep. One of his coworkers called and said can I come over, i can't stay here. One turned into 3 into 8, and when he went to meet them at the ferry station, there were friends of his friends just standing around. Nowhere to go, can't reach anyone on cell phones. They all came and stayed at his place. They didn't sleep really he said, just looked out or stayed on the balcony and watched the skyline, watched the smoke, the TV.

I then got on the phone with my father. He was so deeply saddened, enraged, I can't even describe it well but I think you know what I'm saying here. Where we grew up in NY it was a suburb of NYC, lots of cops and firefighters. He talked to friends back home. The next 2 months would bring a long line of funerals of people he was acquainted with, his friend back home kept him posted. I've seen my dad go through a lot. Loss, pain, injury, heartache. But nothing that effected him like 9/11. He was forever different in several ways after that. He made moments count a lot after that. He became much more introspective and more critical of government than I'd ever seen him. He was a patriot, he had served in the Army. He loved his country and its people. He checked in with all of us that day, several times. He told me it would be ok. Every 9/11 since his death I am mixed with so many feelings, about the day, the people who lost their lives, their families, their homes and way of life. And I think about him and I miss him.

I'm grateful for my life, my family, what I am blessed with. I just couldn't write about yesterday, well yesterday. It is just so raw on that day for me. I guess it probably always will be.

6 comments:

  1. yellowdoggranny said...
     

    what a great post....i thought of my daddy that day..he had died in '82..i think he would have tried to reup...it would have broke his heart...so know how your daddy felt...broke my heart too..

  2. Wine Girl said...
     

    Your friend in NY was so generous, love to hear stories like that, the good that came from such horror! Makes you feel a bit better.

  3. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    Amen, sister.

    I remember being at school when it happened. I called Daddy collect from my classroom while watching the tv with my students.

    He was on my mind a lot yesterday too.

    Mark's a good guy. I know I'm not alone when I say that I'm so grateful he was on the ferry...and that he opened his home to so many strangers displaced and in shock from that horrific day.

  4. ohc said...
      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  5. ohc said...
     

    Lil Sis! I loved this post. I just hate to think of this...I hate to think that kids today will not know what it feels to have the life I was so fortunate to live. Our world is a strange place to me now...but with people like Mark, BG, you, and fellow bloggers and friends, well, I am blessed. I know if my dad was here and saw that, he would have never been the same.

    HUGS!

  6. OTRgirl said...
     

    This was such an evocative post. Thank you for putting words on your feelings. Even if it hurt to much to do it 'the day of' it was good to read.

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker