About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

Happy Birthday B!

B...that's what I call my husband, his name doesn't start with a B, but I'm forever saying, "Hey, B, can you take the trash out?" or some other request.

Well, today is his birthday. He's 38 today, whew! He's about 4 and half years older than me, he robbed the cradle, we met when I was a junior in high school. I like to say I was mature, but I think the truth is he was immature and maybe I was a litte mature for my age. The jury will remain out on that one. We met through a friend, they were dating at the time and we all became good friends. He was always around hanging out, playing cards, going on hikes, goofing off. He played in a basketball league with some folks I knew too.

When they broke up, we discovered that we really liked eachother, making my parents none to happy to be sure, my mother and I didn't speak for nearly 6 months, really. She wrote me this horrible letter, 10 pages long, with a litany of reasons I was too good for him, it was the wrong timing, she didn't like him, "when I hear his laugh I want to strangle him and tell him to SHUT UP" so very mean. She loves him now, I guess. I wasn't a failure because I had a high school sweetheart. I went to college, I'm successful, I'm happy most of the time. I love him dearly. I'm grateful for him even on the days where I'm pissed off at him, which some weeks seems like every other day...but we try and keep at it.

Happy Birthday my dear B! Thank you for being you, for loving me and your children unconditionally, for your grace under pressure, the sanity checks that you give me, the kind reminders that love can really conquer most things. You hold me when I need it, you leave me be and give me silence when I need it. In the face of many adversities over the years you've stood by me, by our family, our children. You didn't fall apart when I needed to and you were there to help pick me up.

I know I never knew your mother, you never did either with her dying when you were 2. But I thank her for having you. I know we argue, we disagree, somedays I scratch my head and wonder what the hell you're thinking, but when it all comes down there you are right beside me. Always loving me and our children.

We love you! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

5 comments:

  1. cadbury_vw said...
     

    Happy Birthday to B

    ----

    i am always happy when i hear about how much you care for him and each other

  2. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    Woooo hooo! I left a message for that big lug last night. Edie and Richie were laughing their asses off. I sang the ENTIRE birthday song to him. I'm nice like that.

    Hope you two went out since you can't this weekend. Lemme know if you think you can get down here for the game. Either way, it's cool.

    I'll call ya on my way to work this morning, sister!

  3. Anonymous said...
     

    Thanks, we didn't go out, kids are sick, except loud girl, she's the picture of health! Go figure. He liked his cake and the baby cried all night, I think we slept 3 hours, but hey, we're just so in love it was great sitting up with a howling baby!

  4. OTRgirl said...
     

    Nice post! Sorry about the crying ending (the baby that is!)

  5. terry said...
     

    aww, what a sweet post..! you two are lucky to have each other.

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker