About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

We had a great party

This past weekend, Saturday, was the picnic that we hosted for our neighborhood. I had this idea in August that wouldn't that be so nice, there were a lot of new families in the neighborhood that have moved in over the last 2 years and I really didn't know many of them. Lots of them have kids and many of the kids don't know eachother. So I planned this 1st annual picnic. I called it that hoping that it would go well and we'd do it again.

We had one of those big moon bounce things for the kids to play in and they had our playset as well, we had local fire/rescue/police come by to show off their cars and trucks and meet the neighborhood. We had a craft table for the kids, face painting, these rocket balloon things that were such a hit, I should've bought 4 packages instead of one! Lots of food and drink to go around as well. All that attended were asked to bring a side or a dessert, and their own beer or wine if they wanted it. We provided the entree selection and non-alcoholic beverages. It was in my backyard.

It went REALLY well. We had a great turnout, I met many new people and was able to reconnect with others in a different way. I appreciated the excitement people had, the fun they brought. I think they all enjoyed it. It was from 4p-7p, the last of the stragglers left around midnight, it was a lot of fun. One couple that has lived in the neighborhood for about 15 years used to have a big neighborhood halloween party each year and they haven't for about 8 or 9 years now, all the families started having kids, people moved, lost connections except to wave hello. The parties just stopped. They talked about having their party again this year and I think they will now. There is another family up the street, a lovely family, I relate to them well, they are from NY area, not to far from where my husband and I grew up. They share a lot of background as us and we have kids the same age. She is so funny! I never knew! They are having a Christmas party now, KIDFREE! Lots of fun with other adults! They've called about the date already and I'm really looking foward to it.

I was nervous about doing the party once I started planning it, but it all turned out wonderfully. It was such a fun day and night. I had more than a couple of SeaBreezes, my one neighbor made a pitcher for her and I to share, and they were so good! It's like drinking juice all night! Then you realize there some liquor in there?!? We had a good time though, no one got ugly or stupid, kids had a blast. Then again, that could just be my interpretation!

I remember growing up my parents having parties like this all the time. We could walk all around our neighborhood without fear or worry, we were safe. I was 5 riding my bike outside without a care in the world and everyone looked out for everyone else. I miss those days and though I know this one party doesn't change all that, I do hope it makes our neighborhood a little safer and friendlier, more welcoming.

7 comments:

  1. E said...
     

    NOTHING beats a great neighborhood!! So glad you all had fun and that you took the initiative to throw it!

  2. weigook saram said...
     

    Wow, I wish I lived in a neighborhood like that. It's great that you took the initiative to organize the party. It sounds like a lot of fun.

  3. Wine Girl said...
     

    You certainly made Daddy proud!

    Glad it well!

  4. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    Ooooooooh I am so happy things turned out so well!

    Good times!

    I know Big Bob is dancing a jig in celebration of your partayyyyyyy!

  5. OTRgirl said...
     

    That sounds SO ambitious! I love that you did that. I've found that most people love an excuse to get together, but need a catalyst to do it. Good for you to just go for it.

  6. ohc said...
     

    That sounds like a great time. I miss those days when we could all romp through the neighborhood too. You brought back a lot of memories.

    Glad you guys had fun! YAY!

  7. cadbury_vw said...
     

    good work on organizing the party

    that's no small accomplishment

    you must have been very satisfied

    you've also been a darn fine example of community mindedness for your kids

    wow - good job!
    [again]

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker