About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

I'm the Hip Happy, Chip Chappy

A big shout out to Dr. Seuss today, I feel like the hip happy chip chappy and I'm not ashamed to shout about it! This is from one of my faves, "The Sneetches".

A bit of history here, my kids love Seuss, they've only really started to LOVE his works in the past year, we've had the books, we've read them, but in the past year they have become a part of our family, I can recite many of the prose verbatum as can my offspring, sometimes I fear the baby when she begins to speak it will be in rhythmic verse, which wouldn't be a bad thing in our home, the outside world may think differently however I fear. This particular line is from Sylvester McMonkey McBean, he comes to save the Sneetches by either giving to or taking from them the stars on thar bellies. A wonderful lesson in prejudice and scam artists I think, and acceptance, which leads me to my bloggy for the day.

I ACCEPT: my problems because they are lessons for me, blessings in disguise.

In retrospect, this is always true for me, whether I like it or not and I hope that I will continue to think this way to believe this way. If I can glean a lesson and find a silver lining from the challenges that come my way then in the end WOOHOO for me. I don't want to be bitter I don't want to regret, I want to learn and so far have been lucky to do so I think.

From my husband I have and still do learn perserverance, strength, humor, and humility...my children teach me daily oh so many lessons the greatest of which yesterday was patience but that is a topic for another bloggy:)

The illness of my daughter, cancer, showed me the strength I had within me to endure, to face fear, to be a provider and caretaker 24/7 and be forever grateful for the opportunity. I saw resilience first hand from her in her battle, she like her father and grandfather showed great perserverance, courage and beauty in her fight.

The illness and death of my father, well he taught me so much, but in his last days he showed a level of dignity, grace and compassion which I can only hope and pray I have someday. The absence of fear for himself and only his concern for his family was tremendous. His unwavering love for us, with no conditions, is something I cherish and am so thankful to have had.

I accept that my house will never be really organized, it will always have clutter and dust bunnies lurking under things, but it will always be welcoming and have warmth and love.

I accept that I make choices and those choices have consequences, God grant me the ability to choose wisely and forgive me when I don't.

I accept the fact that I'm not perfect, never will be. I try and do good, to make a difference, but I know the bitchy girl in me comes out on occaision, and SHE ALWAYS WILL, that is me, I live, laugh and love. I cry, get angry, and stew over things sometimes too. I am me and I accept that.

2 comments:

  1. t_cole said...
     

    i continue to find parallels in my family's life and yours.
    first, bless you for all you do and go through gracefully each day.

    and about those parallels - my father has always told me that no matter how bad an experience, no matter how awful a situation, no matter how desperate you may have felt, IF YOU LEARN SOMETHING FROM IT, then it wasn't all bad.

    and to me - knowing something wasn't all bad and in fact, there was some good to come from it makes a world a difference for me. even if that good is merely the knowledge that i NEVER want to ride that road again. at least i know this the next time i reach that crossroad.
    oft times, the lesson is greater than simply knowing not to relive an anguish.
    most times, there is a gratitude of the heart for those folks around you that supported and loved you through the dark times.
    and for me, few things are more powerful than gratitude of the heart.
    continue to live, love and smile. it looks good on you!

    all me very best to you and yours.

  2. Mouthy Girl said...
     

    Well this is just an excellent fucking post. Hands-down.

    I wish these other bloggers could have heard a recorded snippet of the conversation we had when you were reciting Seussisms. They don't nearly compare to the Bobisms, but what in the hell could possibly approach THOSE?

    Loud Girl has kicked cancer's ass. Greenie will always push your buttons while loving you the loudest. Teeny Beanie will have both a brother and a sister to kick the ass of anyone stupid enough to fuck with her.

    Those three kids have the best in you and your husband guy.

    I'm missing Dad way too much this week. I can't explain it. There's no rhyme or reason. Your recollection of how he did in such a state of grace made me cry while I was at work.

    Honest, I will never do those last moments any justice...and truth be told, I feel awfully selfish for having had him to myself in those last moments. I'm so glad you and the other sis don't feel piss-faced about it.

    I'm rambling. Big fucking surprise there. Love you, sister.

    (Are you guys coming down this weekend? There's a HUGE St. Patrick's thing going on here this weekend. I think the kids would LOVE it. Lemme know.)

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker