About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

Relay time again

My annual Relay for Life post.

If you don't know Relay for Life, just google it, go to the American Cancer Society website, check it out...they're all over the world, so chances are there's an event in your area on an annual basis.

You all know why I Relay, for my daugther Emily, my husband, my dad. It's a personal thing, and some folks are ok doing it, others aren't comfortable with the setting, that's ok by me...we all deal with things differently. I choose to do Relay. For me it works, I know I make a difference with my action of taking part and I need that.

This year I'm co-chairing the event, that's right the entire event. It's more work than I thought, more rewarding than I imagined and so very very time consuming over the past month it's CRAZY. I owe calls to old friends, cards to folks, a care package that I started and haven't finished to a fellow blogger buddy who could probably really use it, IT'S STILL COMING I'm sorry I stink at follow through right now if it's not RELAY.

I remembered to eat today, good times. A yummy wrap, good for me too.

I think I may be too tired to cry this year, maybe not, I always get the sniffles at luminary, all those lights, the silence, all the people. It can be very overwhelming for me.

We may set a fundraising record, to date where about $100K ahead of where we were last year at this point, fingers crossed.

I have to give a speech this year, ugh, I hope it's ok, I hope I can inspire, I HOPE.

I have to add some new Luminaries to my list this year, sadly more "in memory" of and a few more "in honor" of ones.

If cancer has never touched you in anyway yet through your own experience, as a caregiver, or a friend of someone who's had it...you are so very blessed. If it has touched you in some way, and I imagine that's more the case for folks than not, you know it sucks, it's brutal, it hurts....and for me it was a blessing too. It put me contact with a community of people I wouldn't have known otherwise, other moms who are now my life long friends, other children who went through similar experiences...I wouldn't have chosen this "clan" but you get what you get and they are good people.

If I ever write a book I want it to be funny, not sad, lots of laughter. I live the same way, I want the laughter, I'll deal with the sad, but I will keep moving on, and carry the laughter and the smiles, and the love, I chose to not carry the hurt, the sadness and the remembrance of pain all the time. The memory is there, but it doesn't define me like the laughter does.

I HOPE for a Cure, I Relay for ME.

Lots of love to each of you,

Lil'sis

5 comments:

  1. Rachel said...
     

    Great post. I think cancer touches most of us at some point in our lives, unfortunately. The relay sounds very inspiring, and I'm sure your speech will be too.

  2. terry said...
     

    beautifully said. good luck...

  3. Snickollet said...
     

    No rush on that package, my friend. Whenever it gets here is when I really need it, honestly.

    Has the Relay event already happened? If not (or even if it has . . . ) can I make a donation to your team? If you're not comfortable posting the details here, e-mail me.

    Thinking of you and your whole family.

  4. Anonymous said...
     

    Snick-

    Our site is http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=189687

    and your package now that it's over should be there soon, what size are the kids now?

    The Relay was great, I'll post about it soon...I hope you're well, I had a Luminary at our site for John, it was a beautiful event and Amy and I thought of you and the kids with a great big smile!

    Lots of love,
    Lil'sis

  5. Snickollet said...
     

    Donation made! Wish I could do more. Glad that the event went so well. Can't wait to hear about it.

    The kids are in 12m clothes now. Big kids! I can't believe it. Their one-year b-day is 22 June.

    Happy belated Mother's Day.

    -snick

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker