About Lipstick Cover-Up

This blog is about one woman facing each day - making it happen... surviving... putting up with... overcoming challenges... laughing or crying... and sharing her inner beauty - all while wearing Apricot Beige #7 or Frosted Rose.

Always remember...

"When you are a daughter, mother, sister or girlfriend--you are proof positive that daily surviving can be a beautiful thing."
-- Jodi Hills, Author of Slap on a Little Lipstick...You'll Be Fine

It's COLD outside

Well, I guess I've been too cold to blog lately, more like over committed, again, which is ok. But I'm tired and cold, my toes and nose are cold, and I'm inside....I know stop whining, I'm done.

I'm having a tough time with my Weight Watchers right now, I'm sort of stuck. Plateau? I don't know, I don't think so, I think I'm just mentally stuck.

A few weeks back I was on such a roll, I'd been losing 2 pounds a week on average for several weeks, it was great. I changed nothing really and it just stopped, I'm guessing I need to change things up some more, but mentally I'm having a rough time doing it. See when I was doing so well, my dear mother made some mean comments to me, because she wasn't doing so well I guess. Stuff like, "you can't be eating if you're losing weight like that", instead of maybe, "good job Kirsten, you're doing a lot of hard work and running a lot, congratulations." No, as usual it's all about her, and the thing that really got me is that I don't really even tell her b/c she's always gotten mad, if she doesn't lose, she's just so wrapped up in her drama she doesn't hear other people, "look at my food tracker, do you see a problem...." and on and on and on, people don't want to sit by her b/c she's always ranting on and on and on...you get the picture. But when she does well and loses, let me tell you she gets in your face. So a few weeks ago, I went from losing 2.3 and gained 0.4 in a week, she was weighing in next to me and lost a pound, when she heard that I had gained, she walked up to me and said, and I quote, "ha ha, ha ha ha, I lost and you didn't, HA" With a great big smile and giggle, like it's funny. Now, mind you I never and would never do that to her, there have been plenty of weeks where the reverse is true, but instead of making light of that, I'll say something like, "Well, mom you did swim more, and you said you're feeling really good, next week will be better, just have to stay on track" I don't say, "Mom you really should count all the 'tasting' of little bites of things that you do, eating a bunch of hor de'vours adds up, you need to track that" I don't say, "Ha ha, that's so funny that you gained this week, and I DIDN'T" No, I'm not like that, so how is she my mother?

I love her, don't get me wrong on that one, but I do tire of her self centeredness, how absorbed in her own life she is that seeing beyond that is challenging for her. You honestly cannot get through a conversation with her without her ignoring what you say and talking about herself. A few months ago I was talking with a friend who said this about my mother, and I was skeptical that it happens ALL the time. Since then I've made a concerted effort to really listen to our conversations and see how she responds to my questions about things, and sure enough my friend was correct. Sometimes she doesn't even acknowledge your question, she just talks about herself, or she'll give a quick retort and then steer you back to herself. It truly is amazing I tell you. She's done this so long I don't think she has any idea she does it. It's just who she is.

So if anyone out there has any diet tips for staying on track or WW tips for staying in the game mentally so to speak pass them on, give a girl a little help on this one:) If anyone has advice on how to love your mom but not feel like you need her and need to please her all the time, pass that along as well, but be gentle, when it comes to her I have a tough time, I just can't be mean to her.

Hope all you bloggy friends are well. I love reading each of you, about your families, your kids, your lovers, your daily stuff, parenting, working, all of it. I talk about some of you in conversation as if I know you, "oh, I have this friend who lives in .....and she/he ....when my husband asks me who I'm talking about and I say, "oh one of the bloggers I read" he just smiles at me. So thanks for reading, but more importantly thanks for writing, I'm learning a lot about myself and the world I live in, how I'd like it to be, how I want to contribute to making it a better place by reading you all.

Take Care,
Kirsten

6 comments:

  1. Rachel said...
     

    Argh! She should be supporting you, not undermining you.

    I'm trying to lose a couple of pounds I gained over Christmas. Here are my tricks:

    I write down everything I eat and snack on string cheese and baby carrots. I exercise when I can, even if it's just during the commercials when I'm watching Grey's Anatomy.

    Good luck! You can do it. :)

  2. OTRgirl said...
     

    I've been thinking I need to do a food diary. I just need to be more aware.

    The only way I've ever been consistent with exercise is when it's just part of daily life (sprinting to catch buses and trains, hiking hills near college cause they were beautiful, etc). Now that my life in general is more sedentary it's been hard to stay in shape. I look forward to checking out the advice you get here!

  3. OTRgirl said...
     

    Wait, was that all about me? What I meant was...

    I'm sorry about your Mom. My dad isn't quite that bad, but close. It's exhausting.

  4. terry said...
     

    gah. you just have to try to tune out other people and their food issues. it's toxic.

    and even worse when it's your mom. why is she so competitive? with her DAUGHTER?

    *sigh. hang in there...

  5. cadbury_vw said...
     

    i'm sad about your mom nipping at your ass. that has to hurt.

    as for staying on diet... i haven't lately and i'm up 7 lbs since december.

    when i was able to stay on diet i stuck harder to my allotted proportions of carbs and protein instead of allowing myself a little extra here and there. that 160-210 calories in a slice or two of bread or a little extra meat is what kills me.

    when i was hardcore on the diet i snacked on salad. i kept it pre-prepared in a sealed container the fridge and always ate that when i got a little peckish. then i stayed "full" and didn't do other snacks. no sneaking a slice or proscutto salami or putting a "dab of buttter" on the 2 slices of fresh bread i just baked...

  6. Snickollet said...
     

    The mom thing is hard.

    " . . . how to love your mom but not feel like you need her and need to please her all the time . . . "

    I think we all struggle with that. We all want to please our moms! I'm just sorry your mom is making unreasonable and self-centered demands.

    About the WW, you're doing great. I know science doesn't back me up, but when I was actively doing WW and hit a plateau, I found that upping my water/herbal tea intake would often give me a boost. And I ate lots and lots of air-popped popcorn. I'd sprinkle a 1/4 c. of popcorn in the bottom of a glass bowl, put Saran Wrap over it, poke a few holes in the plastic wrap, then microwave for a few minutes. Cheaper than the microwave bags and with no weird butter flavor, tons of salt, etc. Plus, filling and low-cal.

    Good luck!

    Also: I do the same thing with bloggers all the time, talking about "my friend who does this, my friend who does that." It's nice, isn't it?

Post a Comment



 
eXTReMe Tracker